High quality dance curriculum lessons, resources and activities to inspire, engage and motivate students.
DTI can take your dance education activities from good to great!
This is what Membership with DTI can do for you.
What are the benefits of using Dance in the Primary classroom?
• Dance promotes pupils’ holistic development, well being and motivation to learn at school.
• Dance has positive effects on learning—challenging and versatile forms of physical activity appear to be the best way to boost cognitive performance.
• It combines physical activity, expression of feelings, social interaction and cultural participation.
• It helps build children’s confidence and self esteem.
• Dance develops social skills.
• Movement has a positive effect on social interaction, group spirit and sense of empowerment in groups, especially where pupils do not have a common spoken language.
• Dance can also assist in preventing mental problems and social exclusion among children.
• Rather than individualistic competitive achievement, it focuses on cooperation and group cohesion.
• Dance avoids the valuation, comparisons and competitiveness connected to physical education. Such comparisons may lead to a negative perception of one’s physical competence and can reduce the motivation for movement and exercise.
• Encourages freedom of expression not available in other activities.
Dance in the classroom is an exciting and engaging way for your lessons to come to life.
How can Dance Teaching Ideas help you in the classroom?
Here at Dance Teaching Ideas we’re passionate about supporting teachers and parents in making learning joyful, effective and inclusive.
DTI was created to assist primary teachers and home-schooling parents in developing and implementing high quality, inclusive dance and Arts lessons. Classrooms, at school and at home, will benefit from the energy, joy and enriched learning that comes from engaging in the Arts.
With Premium DTI Membership you have access to dance activities, complete lesson plans and in class resources that you can use immediately in your classroom. The articles, by experienced dance educators, support you implementing dance and movement in your classroom.
Engaging with the Arts is part of a comprehensive education that raises emotionally skilled people to promote a healthy society. Children who investigate, explore and imagine, learn how to be adaptive in a constantly changing environment.
How can DTI help if you’re a Primary teacher?
Dance Teaching Ideas provides ongoing support to introduce or continue with dance in your classroom. If you are just starting to connect with the Arts at an Australian curriculum level, dance is a great way to begin.
With fun, physical and written activities that are easy to implement and encourage student engagement, your classroom will have the productive energy that all primary teachers love.
The lessons are shared ideas, as a way to solve the teaching issues that each of us experience. They solve the problem of developing more and more learning resources.
How can I develop literacy skills through dance?
Many of the ideas for classroom activities on Dance Teaching Ideas are linked to developing skills in literacy. Students’ motivation to learn is enhanced when they are engaged in an activity that they really enjoy doing.
John Hattie, researcher and education guru, sees “skill, will, and thrill” as being crucial to encouraging a love of learning in students. Hattie asserts, “In fact, if we can increase their sense of love of learning, the thrill, we can increase their sense of self.”
Discussion, feedback and reflection are the tools of the dance artist and promote literacy at a deeper level.
The activities and resources in Dance Teaching Ideas provide written and oral evidence of learning.This is so important in an achievement based, learning intention driven education system.
It is equally important that this doesn’t take away from your students’ meaningful arts experiences. These teaching ideas can be easily adapted to your individual classroom specifically for your students.
How can DTI help if you’re a home schooling parent?
Dance Teaching Ideas helps home schooled children learn through the Arts. It places you along side your child as a maker of art. This creates a supported learning environment in your home and encourages children to try a range of approaches to problem solving.
Dance is a great way to learn about many areas of the curriculum and allows you to enjoy creating together.
These are Dance activities you can do at home!
The ideas for dance activities presented in the articles and in free lesson plans and resources, demonstrate how children can make meaning and learn about their world. Arts learning can be messy, elusive and unpredictable at times and Dance Teaching Ideas creates a road map to help you navigate the curriculum and its implementation.
Interviews with distance educators and seasoned home schoolers support you on your dance journey and keep your children active and creative. Learning should be fun for everyone and dance can enliven your home classroom.